MUMBAI,India(TNO) There are some dishes that always remind of home. Every time when I am planning a vacation to my parents’ home, mummy will ask me: “What all do you want to eat?” and I will be ready with my list. Pakode ki sabzi is on top of that list.
Pakode ki Sabzi
Preparation time: 10 mins + 30 mins soaking time | Cooking time: 20 mins | Serves: 4
1 cup – Yellow moong daal, soaked in hot water for 30 mins
1 inch – Ginger, chopped
1 – Green chilli, halved
A pinch – Asafoetida
2 – Tomatoes, puréed (or 8 tbsp tomato puree)
1 cup – Yogurt
1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
1 tbsp – Oil, for cooking the gravy + oil for frying
Salt – To taste
Red chilli powder – To taste
Fresh coriander leaves – For garnishing
* Drain the soaked daal, but don’t throw away the water.
* In a food processor, blend together drained daal, ginger, green chilli and some salt to a very smooth paste. Add a little water if required but not too much.
* Remove in a bowl and churn by hand for 5-6 mins till it is well aerated.
* Heat oil for frying and drop spoonfuls of the lentil mixture into hot oil to make pakodas/fritters.
* Fry till golden.
* Remove on an absorbent kitchen towel.
For the gravy
* Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadhai on medium heat. Add asafoetida. When it starts to sputter, add tomato puree. Sauté for 2 minutes.
* Add red chilli and turmeric powder and mix well.
* Whisk the yogurt and add to the tomato mixture. Mix well and stir continuously until there is a boil.
* Add salt and 1 cup water (or more if you want a thin consistency). Mix well and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
* Add the prepared lentil pakodas/fritters and cook covered on low for another 5 mins.
THANKS, TEZ NEWS/ASHIMA